Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reem Acra Fall 2011 Ready to Wear

When I pulled up the slides from Reem Acra's latest fall collection, I expected to see a lot of sequins. The Lebanese designer has become synonymous (in my head, anyway) with sparkle. Hence, I didn't expect to see anything different. I was, however, pleasantly surprised to see that of 37 looks, less than five were composed entirely of glitter.

This collection shows that Acra, who is best known for wedding dress design, was not afraid to step away from an aesthetic that has proven very successful for her. This suggests that she is favouring the creation of art rather than sticking to what is safe. I didn't love every look in this collection, but I respected what Acra seems to be trying to do.

My major complaint with this collection was that many of shorter skirt hems fell just below the models' knees, and were paired with high heeled booties. This combination of a higher ankle boot with a lower skirt hem made the sought after 5'10'' models look much shorter than they should have. The textured tights were a bit of a turnoff for me as well, which is probably why none of the shorter dresses made my list of favourites:









Posted by: Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment